Saturday, January 28, 2012

Autumn Stroll in Hong Kong - Lau Sum Kee Noodle

You can say that I am not a noodle person. You will not find me slurping a bowl of noodle regardless of where you bump into me. As for all my posts on noodles, I have to admit to you that I did not eat them. Rest assured that nothing has gone to waste because someone else will eat it, and I will foot the bill! Haha...

Nevertheless, there's always an exception. As mentioned in yesterday's post, it is against the norm for not eating when you are travelling, particularly to places which have unlimited choice of food. Hence, the only time I would tuck in a bowl of noodle all by myself is when I am dining at a wonton noodle restaurant in Hong Kong / Macau. 

Of all the noodles in HK, Shrimp roe noodle (Har Ji Meen) is the one which I find it hard to resist. Irrespective of how huge the portion is, I will wipe the plate clean without complaint. Lau Sum Kee is the fourth wonton noodle shop which I visited. It is located conveniently just a stone's throw from the Sham Shui Po MTR Station. However, it is a rather expensive journey to come here as the hotel I stayed is in Kennedy Town, Hong Kong Island. The bus ride from Kennedy Town to Mongkok cost me HK$16 and I had to fork out another HK$3.30 for the MTR ride from Mongkok to Sham Shui Po. In other words, I had spent altogether HK$38.60 on a round trip just for the sake of savouring their wonton noodle. 

What's so great about their noodle, you may ask? Well, their noodle is also known as the bamboo pole noodle. Got the idea? Yes, this is the traditional technique of noodle making whereby the bamboo pole which a man sits on presses against the dough repeatedly to produce a firm and springy noodle texture.

Previous entries:

Lau Sum Kee Noodle @ Sham Shui Po
 劉森記麵家, 深水埗


A bowl robust soup that comes along with the dry version of egg noodle


Shrimp roe egg noodle
蝦子撈麵


Wonton Noodle
雲吞麵




Sui Kow Noodle
水餃

Lau Sum Kee Noodle
Main:
G/F, 48 Kweilin Street, 
Sham Shui Po
Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 2386 3533

Branch:
G/F, 80 Fuk Wing Street, 
Sham Shui Po
Hong Kong

2 comments:

  1. I think their wanton mee texture is different from here, right? Have u tried the noodles in Perak Stadium Meng Chu? Theirs are springy type and fine looking too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire:

    Meng Chu was one of those stalls my family dine at in the 90's. Since we moved to Bercham, we switched to the Acrobatics Uncle wonton mee.

    http://tarts-and-pies.blogspot.com/2010/09/noodle-throwing-in-bercham.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails